Race Preparation for the Oakland Run Fest
by Coach Lauren Ganes
Hooray! ORF is here! Now it’s time to celebrate all that hard work and training you have put in for the half marathon, relay and 5K!
This last week requires a little extra race preparation and, if you plan ahead, it will pay off on race day. For some of us, it will be our fifth year participating in the Oakland Run Fest!
Every runner needs to stay well hydrated this week. Half Marathoners need to focus on eating their complex carbohydrates and protein to keep their bodies well fueled and ready for race morning.
All runners should remember to wear their WOW shirts. Set out your clothes the night before and pin on your bib. What should be set out?
• Hat or visor
• Body Glide
• Jog bra
• Shirt (with bib pinned on)
• Shorts or pants
• Identification and any necessary medical emergency information
• Extra clothes for before and after the race. These can be deposited at the Go WOW Tent before your race
For half marathoners only:
• Fuel Belt with electrolytes (gel, shot blocks)
• One small bottle with liquid in case you need it between aid stations
Stay strong, find your rhythm, and have fun! Go WOW Team!